Monday, February 18, 2008

Adventures in Obamaland




I went to the open house for the opening of the Obama campaign in Texas on Saturday. The place was mobbed- they had so many volunteers show up for training that they ended up having to find extra space on another floor. The crowd was a real cross section of Austin- young, old, black, white, hispanic...rich, poor... and the thing I heard over and over and over was, "I've never volunteered for a political campaign before..." There were quite a few 40 and up women there, which doesn't augur well for the Clinton campaign.

The top photo is of Cory Booker, the charismatic young mayor of Newark, who is an extraordinary speaker. I would say the whole thing does have the feeling of a movement, but not in the way that the critics suggest. There's very little talk about Obama himself - it's about community empowerment. It's about people who have felt powerless taking the reins back into their own hands. It's about people with a common vision about this country and what it can be.

Over and over I heard conversations of people describing why they were there- how frustrated they've been and how they feel the tide is turning, because they, themselves are turning it. There were a lot of strangers connecting in almost a sweet way- lots of shy smiles and nods, the sharing of stories... there was some kind of basic, almost primal recognition going on. "I know you, you are part of my tribe." It was community, which is what being a democrat is all about, no? For me it was extraordinarily moving. I've rarely been so proud to be an American.

It just occurred to me that the one thing I didn't hear is how electing Obama was going to do something for me personally. As I've often said, I'm fairly comfortable. I have a good job, a nice place to live, more than enough money, decent healthcare. And for me, this campaign isn't about me. It's about making America a better place for the less fortunate.

Can you imagine a republican event where a bunch of people got all excited about healthcare for the uninsured and the end of poverty? Nope. Didn't think you could.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too went to volunteer training on Saturday, but in Fort Worth; just as you said it was a very heart warming experience. We had over 250 people show up on a cold, wet, morning (9am). I too heard over and over that people had never done anything like this before; it was always said with a bit of excitment, wonder and a fair amount of pride. There were a goodly number of over 40's in the croud there as well.

Rugo/mother of mistache/frequent lurker

Anonymous said...

Useful info and analysis, Four Legs. I can send it on to my sister, who is a poor lost old-time Republican, from years go when there were respectable Repubs.

Now she says she doesn't know what to call herself, and isn't interested in voting for John McCain.

ellroon said...

Love stories like this, thanks, 4lgs! Have hijacked a bit of your post (with credit).

Appreciate the heart warming. It feels so good!