Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Onward Christian Soldiers



Reuters/Nikola Solic

I'm sorry, but this kind of thing creeps me out. I am extremely uncomfortable with the gains the evangelicals have made in the army and air force.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't want some nutjob with a jeebus complex flying an F16.

On the other hand, if it makes the soldiers in that hell hole feel better to pray before they venture out on missions, they should knock themselves out. I guess I'll shut up about it and not point out that if jeebus *really* loved them he woulda kept them out of the hell hole in the first place. (and yes, that's snark, put ur pearls down.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to me that the so-called religious Christians loudly tell us how to pray and what to pray for and when to pray.

They all ignore Matthew 6 wherein Jesus tells them exactly how to pray and what prayer to say and why they should pray this way and where they should be when say that prayer, and how not to be seen praying in public as the hypocrites do.

Well, the gospels are hard to understand, I guess, especially if they don't read them. Leviticus seems to be so much easier for them.

four legs good said...

I'm not much on the bible, but I'm pretty sure they're getting it all wrong.

After all, they're wrong on everything else.

Caminante said...

Going out on a limb so you can all saw it and me off... but remember I love kitties so can't be all bad, right?

The people of whom you write are what I call the fundagelicals (fundamentalist evangelicals). Unfortunately they have become the public media face of Christians but they absolutely do not and will not ever speak for me, an Episcopal priest. I cringe when people talk about 'Christians' because I know they're going to be thinking of the bible-banging, literalist, shove-it-down your throat type person. That is not the christianity I practise.

They do get it all wrong IMNSHO and, yes, do focus on Leviticus and seem not to read the gospels but elevate the letters written by Paul to supremacy.

And, yes, I don't want someone who think he's doing Jesus' work in a F16 either.

So, saw away... but remember, I do love kitties (and I use a Mac too, smile).

Chris Tucker said...

Caminante, the Episcopals do tend towards the understated.

After all, the closest we come to actually smiting someone is to strike them from the Christmas Card list for the year.